Today is National School Backpack Awareness Day! First and foremost, this day was started by The American Occupational Therapy Association Inc., to help others avoid back issues that come from heavy backpacks.
National School Backpack Awareness Day
In the first place, this day is to raise awareness for anyone who carries a heavy backpack. At the same time, educators, students, teachers and parents can learn safety tips to help protect your back from pain. So, if you’re wondering what you can do today; you can start by learning and teaching anyone carrying a backpack a safe way to carry this type of bag.
Celebrate School Backpack Awareness Day
First, if you want to get involved in learning more about this day, try and organize a venue. If you are involved in education, speak to the superintendent or principal about having an event. Once, you secure a place to host, you will need the following:
- First, have a scale
- Also, create a display table with material to hand out to kids, parents and teachers
- In addition, have some graphics created that show the bag weight each person should carry. For instance, this should be based on no more than 10% of a kids weight.
- Moreover, if you are hosting this event during school hours, make sure you have permission slips signed from a parent for student participation.
Above all, make the event fun.
Hence, the key to success of this event is to have individuals learn that a bag, backpack, briefcase or handbag that weighs too much can be a potential for back pain, neck problems, and shoulder pain.
Shop School Backpack Styles
Now, that you have learnt some safety tips, are you ready to shop for a new backpack? Since We W.I.L.L. Thru Sports benefits from any shopping you do with Amazon, be sure to check out our We W.I.L.L. Thur Sports AmazonSmile post to learn more about this program.
For the best backpack, you want one that will have the following safety features:
- Comfortable straps
- Colorful strips can add visibility when kids are walking to school on a foggy or snowy winter day
- Zipper pull makes the bag easier to zip and unzip
For any girl, the Puma backpack is perfect for school or any overnight stay.
From Puma, the backpack below is ideal for any boy.
Because it is important to be safe, make sure your kids don’t stuff their backpack with too many things.
As always, I welcome your comments.